Call Us Today

(479) 579-0919

5.0
5/5

What Causes a Circuit Breaker to Burn?

 

 4 Main Reasons
1. Circuit Breaker Overheating Overheating is the most common cause of circuit breaker burns. This occurs due to overloads, power surges, or arc-faults in your system. Any of these events will overheat your circuit suddenly, possibly causing the breaker to heat up and burn, thus resulting in a tripped circuit breaker.
2. Faulty Circuit Breaker A faulty circuit breaker may also be responsible for your circuit breaker getting burned. Sometimes a defective circuit breaker won’t detect a fault if it happens. One example is when a short occurs in your line and the breaker doesn’t trip immediately, resulting in a burnt breaker.
3. Corrosion and Moisture Corrosion and moisture can also cause burns in your circuit. This may occur if the breaker panel isn’t properly secured or there’s a loose connection in it. This could lead to moisture seeping in between the links, especially if you have high humidity in your home. This problem is common for some plugin-type breakers, or when the panel is placed outside or in the basement.
4. Faulty Installation Though this does not usually happen, a faulty installation may result in a burnt circuit breaker. It is when there is a loose terminal connection with your circuit breaker or busbars. Furthermore, an incompatible wire and breaker size can also lead to a burnt breaker. It is important to have this installed by a licensed master electrician.
If you are having issues with your electrical systems B’Electric is here to help with your commercial or residential needs. We service all of Northwest Arkansas including, Rogers, Bentonville, Centerton, Lowell, Bella Vista, Fayetteville, Johnson, Pea Ridge and more. We offer free quotes and reliable service. When you hire B’Electric you are hiring a family-owned company that treats their customers as their own family. Give us a call today or request a quote online.
Share Now: